Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Trunk preparation

Not a lot to say today. I didn't get too much done in the last week from being out of town for the weekend, then kind of waiting for the heatwave to subside. Now that it has, I mainly spent the day prepping the trunk for rust repair. I washed it out with soap and water, then industrial strength marine cleaner (which is the first step in my Por-15 Trunk and Floorpan Restoration Kit), waited for it to dry, then sprayed on the rust remover, and that's as far as I got. Tomorrow will be brushing on the first coat of Por-15 paint and patching holes with the included fiberglass fabric which basically just holds the paint in place over the hole while it cures. Supposedly this stuff is amazing and will set up hard and put all the rust to sleep.

I also finally sanded down the filler on my replacement deck lid. There were just a few spots--pitting from surface rust--that I had filled. The Rage Extreme sands really easily. I went back over the same spots with Evercoat metal glaze and it's setting up as I write.

I'm also getting started on removing the cloudy anodized layer from my aluminum trim, using Easy Off Heavy Duty oven cleaner. That came recommended from the folks at V8TV who did a series on the COMPLETE restoration of a '69 Chevelle SS 496. A pretty good video blog, if you ask me. It's on youtube. (What isn't?) You have to spray the trim several times and wash it off, then go over it with 1000 grit sandpaper. After you get the rough spots out, you polish it with aluminum polish. Looks pretty good so far!

That's all I have for today. I'm going to see how this Por-15 stuff turns out, and then maybe try it on my floor pans. If it's tough enough, then I can forgo having those cut out and replaced. That would be so nice...

Til nex time.

1 comment:

silentkid said...

It's good to see that you're working on the trim. I hope that goes well.