Sunday, October 5, 2008

A much needed update

So, as always, I've been working on the car--although not as often now that school has started up again. I finally got the body as straight as I'm gonna get it, I think. There is this one dent that would be pretty much obscured by the front bumper that I was just going to ignore, but now I kinda wanna fix it. I tried hammering it out for a bit tonight, but didn't have much luck. ANYWAY, other than that, things look good. I still have to hang the replacement door on the back passenger side. Oh yeah! I haven't told you. I went down to Tennessee a few weeks ago to pick up a back seat and replacement door, along with a few other incidental goodies, like a map pocket and rear view mirror. Thing is the door is beige, so I have to repaint it completely, inside and out. Plus, it's from a 300D, which has power windows, so I have to pull the regulator/motor and refit the door with the manual mechanisms. I don't think that's gonna be too hard, and I'm actually half-way there.

My main focus this weekend was to get all the minor imperfections out of the sheet metal so that I could do my first coat of high-build primer. Mission accomplished:

Before:






After:






Now, just gotta block sand at 400 grit, re-prime, then do it again at 400 and then 600. Ugh. Oh yeah, and paint the trunk, replace 3 door seals, paint the jambs and around the trunk seal, prime, paint and hang the new door, clean sand and paint the under side of the hood, paint the under side of the trunk lid, replace windshield and back windows seals (and treat any rust around the edges under the rubber), replace the sunroof seals, finish treating the interior floor with sound proofing, replace the carpet, fix an 8 inch tear in the headliner, put a dash cover on, and probably a few other things that I'm not thinking of right now. Oh! Almost forgot about having the rust cut out and the new piece welded into the passenger side quarter panel. So, I'm practically done.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lookin' good. You really have made a great deal of progress. Still interesting to watch someone put in this much work. Wish you were a bit closer so I could drive by every other week and check it out.
Michael in Arizona

silentkid said...

You can re-paint my trunk anytime.

Crystalbell said...

Whatever will you write about once you're done with this project, (assuming you are ever completely done)?